[License] Can I build a recommendation engine with shared-source RedisGraph?

Suppose I want to build a recommendation engine for movies, one that will tell you that if you like Fooers of the Lost Bar, you may like The Baz Crusade. Am I allowed to do it under the shared-source license?

The Redis Source Available License says you can’t use shared-source RedisGraph to build a “Database Product”, which it defines as

any of the following products or services: (a) database; (b) caching engine; © stream processing engine; (d) search engine; (e) indexing engine; (f) machine learning or deep learning or artificial intelligence serving engine;

A recommendation engine is similar but not identical to a search engine and may use machine learning. Reading the license text leaves me unsure whether the use case I am considering is allowed.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this question. Please direct me to the right one if it is.

Hi,

“A recommendation engine for movies” does not breach the RedisGraph license.

Guy

Thanks!

I wish there was (non-legally binding) clarifying information for the Redis Source Available License, maybe something like the deed highlights for the Creative Commons licenses. Example: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/.

1 Like